aka everyone's favorite annual podfic gift exchange run entirely over twitter with no limits and
no rules okay yeah there are kind of rules by now
Can I just say, from the bottom of my heart: THANK YOU ALL FOR ACTUALLY PRODUCING A REASONABLE AMOUNT OF PODFIC THIS YEAR, I feel SIGNIFICANTLY less like I just got run over by a truck this year!!!
- We added knight_tracer as a mod, and she has been EXTREMELY helpful, so super shoutout to her! :D
- Special mod thanks to JonasSollers who, at the mods' request, took video of hanako_noriko receiving her gift (she waited a very long time) and actually GIF'd the moment for us when she realized that she had gotten an hour-long podfic for a super-obscure fandom (which her Dreamwidth username comes from!) that she has asked for every year she's signed up and no one else has ever offered until this year. It was truly a highlight of gift distribution for us 😂
- I've mentioned it a couple times on twitter, but this is the first year the exchange shrunk—both in terms of number of people who signed up and amount of work produced—and frankly, we were due for it. I ONLY NEEDED ONE BOTTLE OF WINE THIS YEAR!! A MIRACLE!!!!!
- We had FAR fewer multipods than we've had in previous years; exmanhater podded a fic that she also received as a gift, and the same Good Place fic was podded and gifted by & to two separate people, but that was it. We're diversifying, y'all!
- We ALSO needed a lot fewer pinch hits than we have in the past, and one of them happened to be able to be covered by something a mod already had recorded! WELL DONE EVERYONE ON GETTING YOUR STUFF IN <3
- I can only assume that at the annual meeting of the Podfic Robots club, they must've decided "let's go easy on the ITPE mods this year." Rjcreighton took a (VERY well-deserved!) year off from her usual craziness, and opalsong seriously scaled back from previous years' number of podfics & runtime (maybe she DOES have a sense of scale after all?! I LIVE IN HOPE). Shoutout to reenajenkins for completing a 35 hour monster ON TOP of a few dozen treats, because it would honestly feel wrong if at least ONE of them didn't go for broke, lmao.
- Alright, enough dallying, how much ACTUAL podfic is there this year, then? The TOTAL RUN TIME of all 268 podfics produced this year is..............203 hours, 52 minutes, 59 seconds which is NEARLY EIGHT AND A HALF DAYS OF AUDIO. Even when we shrink, we still hook you up with over a week's worth of podfic to ring in the new year ;)
Big thanks to the following people:
- our awesome pinch hitter, semperfiona!
- exmanhater, for providing us with permanent hosting! If you're finding this years down the line and everything's still active, thank her :)
- as always, alexwlchan for writing and troubleshooting/providing support for the script we use to generate this post (GitHub page here!) If it weren't for his script, even with a podfic output closer to 2015 numbers than 2017, you'd be getting this.....uh, sometime in like, February maybe? THE YEARS WHEN I CAN HAND-CODE THIS SHIT FOR Y'ALL ARE MANY MOONS PAST XD
Infinite thanks to everyone who made podfic, received podfic, squee'd on Twitter, ordered me pizza while I was coding, yelled at me on Discord to get BACK to coding, and generally participated in any way, up to and including lurking and patiently waiting for this masterlist to be posted. We do this for y'all, and you've kept us going for eight years and counting <3
Now, WITHOUT FURTHER ADO....